Why is the Android screen flickering issue arising?They key reason for the flickering issue, is that the OS is not able to decide between hardware GPU or software CPU. The issue is more common when searching apps. This encountered a flickering issue when opening small apps and when browsing on the Chrome app or when using your phone’s screen.
How to fix Android screen flickering issueIf the issue of a flickering display arose after installing a bunch of apps or just out of nowhere, you can hold off the visit to the service center for now. Here’s our quick guide on what you can do to fix the Android screen flickering issue with ease.
Method 1: Boot the device in Safe ModeA fail-safe feature built into the Android OS, safe mode enables you to go back to the stock Android device you got out of the box and test out any abnormalities that you’re facing. When the Android screen flickering issue pops up, you can put your device into safe mode, check to see if the issue still persists and then diagnose accordingly.
- From the home screen of your Android device, press and hold the Power button until you see the power menu screen pop up.
- On the menu screen, press and hold the Power button icon until you see the safe mode pop-up menu appear on the screen.
- The screen will ask you to confirm if you wish to “Reboot to safe mode”, so go ahead and press the “OK” button to boot your Android device into safe mode.
- Now that your Android device will boot into safe mode, all the third-party apps that you have installed on your device will be disabled and hidden.
Method 2: Modifying the Developer optionsApart from all the awesome hidden features offered by Developer options, there are some options in the menu that can help you fix Android screen flickering. Developer options give you the ability to disable options such as Show surface updates and Disable HW overlays, which have been associated with Android screen flickering issue by several users.
- If you don’t have Developer options enabled already, do so by heading over to Settings >About phone and tapping 7 times on “Build number”
- The Developer options menu will be added to the bottom of the Settings app, so access it and scroll down to the Drawing
- The first tab under the Drawing section should be Show surface updates, so simply press the toggle switch next to it if the option is already enabled.
- Similarly, use the Developer options menu to find Hardware accelerated rendering section on the screen.
- Under this section, you should be able to find the Disable HW overlays option on the screen.
- Press the toggle switch right next to it to enable to option and set screen composting only to GPU.
Method 3: Disabling Adaptive brightness on your deviceThe Automatic/Adaptive brightness option means that the brightness of screen changes according to the outside light. So when you cover your phone’s photometric sensors, the screen becomes dark and when they are uncovered, the screen becomes bright again.
- Go to Settings > Display > Brightness
- Find the option Automatic/Adaptive brightness and deselect it.
Final resolution – Getting Android screen flickering issue checked outIf none of the methods above helped you get the Android screen flickering issue to be resolved, get your phone checked out at a service center. You may have a hardware issue, which means you’ll need to have the front glass panel or the entire display screen replaced. Depending on your mobile device and how old it is, it might cost you a fair amount to have the hardware replaced. However, in some cases, it isn’t the screen that is damaged, but the proximity and brightness sensors, which still requires you to bring your phone into the customer service center, but might end up costing you a lot less. If your device is out of warranty and you aren't afraid to experiment, you'll find a range of experts on the XDA Developers Forum that have a fix for you. However, these experimental processes need some amount of repairing knowledge and a bit of courage as well, so tread with caution.
How to get files back when screen keeps flashingYou also need to save the device files to avoid them from being accessed when your phone’s screen flashes. The Android Data Recovery can help in retrieving files on the phone if you aren’t able to touch the screen to operate it.
- After downloading the Android Data Recovery software, open it and click on Android Broken Data Recovery and then select all the files you want to restore
- You will be asked to make some choices on your phone model, the file type, and the fault type so that your data can be retrieved.
- The software analyzes your device.
- The software then starts to retrieve the files, you will be able to see their names displayed, the details in terms of size, artists, album, etc. of the music or format of the pictures.
Similar / posts
October 9th, 2018
August 8th, 2017
Updated on August 22nd, 2017
February 24th, 2017
Updated on August 29th, 2017