Is Donald Trump using an old ‘insecure’ Android phone?

BY Bethwel Njore / February 16, 2017
Shares
Share on Pinterest
More share buttons
BY Bethwel Njore / February 16, 2017 / News

President Donald Trump immediately received a mobile phone when he entered the White House. But there are rumors that he has continued to use his insecure Android phone. Two United States Senators asked for further investigation regarding President Donald Trump’s use of his personal, unofficial device on 9th of this month.

The two Senators (Claire MacAskill and Tom Carper) are both Democrats who serve in the homeland security committee. They have said that hackers usually go for Smartphones in an attempt to acquire personal information from the user. The senators are concerned that hackers could upload software on the phone that gives them access to anything. For instance, a compromised Android phone could allow hackers access to audio or video recording.

In addition, they want to know what measures have been taken to protect Donald Trump’s personal device, and if the National Security Agency (NSA) was consulted concerning the protective measures.

During his inauguration, the President of the United States supposedly rejected the hardened phone which has restricted functions compared to his old device.

President Donald Trump isn’t denied the right to communicate electronically, but he is urged to do it in a manner that is secure and that guarantees the preservation of presidential records. And that can only be done by the use of a “secure” phone.

There were reports earlier that the President’s device is a Samsung Galaxy S3 that was manufactured in the year 2012. And that is far from safe. The device is said to not be receiving any Android releases, let alone new security updates.

Analysis Mr. Trump’s social media activity affirms that he has been tweeting from an Android device. Concerns are even higher after images shared on social media showed the President’s aides using torches on their device to illuminate sensitive documents in a discussion about North Korea’s missile test. This happened during a meeting with Prime Minister of Japan (Shinzo Abe) a few days ago.

The National Archives considers the President’s tweets to be record that must be maintained, documented, and preserved for historic purposes.

According to experts, the President’s current Android smartphone is a risk to United States national security.

Google project hackers have showed how the President’s device can be vulnerable to hackers and even to rival intelligence agencies around the world.

The senators are asking U.S Secretary of Defense James Mattis to issue details by 9th march, disclosing whether the President is using an unsecured personal device, or an encrypted device in office.

The more Donald uses his device, the more likely hackers will try to target it.

Image Source: Business Insider


Leave a Comment