Getting a new phone is as exciting as Christmas morning, right? Whenever I make an upgrade, I spend hours fiddling with the new gadget and learning all the fresh things I can do with it.
The next best thing to upgrading your phone is waking up to a shiny new software update – with recently-released features and improved default apps, it’s like you have a new device all over again.
More and more Android updates are being sent over the air (OTA updates), but if your Samsung phone didn’t receive one, then the official Samsung Kies software is your best bet.
Samsung officially pushes updates for your Samsung device using their own software called Samsung Kies. This useful tool doesn’t just upgrade your firmware – it backs up and restores your data, as well! It basically simplifies most of the important processes on your phone.
It’s very easy to update your phone using it: just follow this guide to see exactly how to update using Kies.
How to Update Samsung with Kies: 6 Simple Steps
- First, download and install Samsung Kies from the official website. Once it’s installed, fire up the software.
- Connect your Samsung device to your PC using the USB cable.
- Before doing an update, it’s recommended to do a backup of your data. Now’s the time for it! Save all your photos and videos before you update using Kies.
- Your device should appear in the upper left side of the window, like in the example below. Once it does, click on the device name (i.e. GT-I9000). A new window should appear on the right side of Kies.
- Look for the “Firmware Information” tab – if there are any new updates available, the message “New Firmware is Available” should be displayed. If it’s shown, press the “Firmware Upgrade” button. A new window will appear. The process will take you through multiple phases: ‘Download’ > ‘Upgrade’ > ‘Complete’.
- At the end of the process, your device will reboot. Click “OK” on the message displayed in Samsung Kies. It’s now safe to disconnect your device from your PC.
And that’s all there is to it! Follow these steps and you’ll have no trouble figuring out how to update using Kies.
To check if the process was done correctly you can go to Settings -> About Phone and see the latest Android version there.
One more thing….
Keep in mind that updates on Samsung Kies don’t all come out at the same time. Once you hear that a new firmware is rolling out, check Kies every now and then to see if yours has arrived.
And if you don’t want to wait….
If you don’t want to wait for your country or carrier version to be released, you can also install official firmware using Odin. This isn’t the official way to do it, but our tutorial will help you update your device without a hitch.
So that’s how you update Samsung with Kies, but if you have any more questions let us know in the comments below.
Image credit: i.ytimg.com