Updated January 2014 with new download links.
I know you have been waiting so long to hear this but now it’s finally true: Galaxy S3 Android 4.3 was officially released.
For all of you Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 (the non-LTE international model) owners out there, Samsung has dropped the first Android 4.3 update for your model, in Ireland (but don’t worry, other countries will follow very soon; we’ll write them at the bottom of the article). As you well know, your device was previously running on Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean, because for unknown reasons Samsung just didn’t release JB 4.2.2 for the S III. Now, a few days after Google released Android KitKat, they released Jelly Bean 4.3, and I have to say it does change the whole experience with your phone.
A whole new experience
With the new Jelly Bean 4.3, the entire User Interface was changed to look like the one on Galaxy S4 and Note 3. The only things that remained unchanged are the launcher and the widgets. Besides this, I can tell you that there’s so much to this update that you’ll just love your device like you did when it was new.
What we noticed was missing, compared to what we have seen in other recent updates is Samsung Knox. Otherwise, here is a complete list with everything that is new with with this update.
New features in Galaxy S3 with Android 4.3
- As announced, the device is now Galaxy Gear compatible.
- TRIM support was added. This will make your device faster.
- ANT+ support was added.
- A new Samsung Keyboard was added.
- Lockscreen Interface modifications: added multiple widgets, option to change clock size and set a personal message.
- 2 new Screen Modes added: Adapt display and Professional Photo.
- Daydream mode.
- Actionable notifications.
- You can now use the ‘move to sd card‘ option.
- Camera mode added: Sound and Shot.
- The Settings Interface is now the same as the one found on the Galaxy S4 (with tabbed interface)
- Voice controls and S-Voice from Galaxy S4 were added (control your device by giving voice commands)
- Main Samsung apps updated: Contacts, Calc, Clock, Music and Gallery.
That’s about all that can be noticed after a first look. Maybe there are more changes that we didn’t mentions, in which case you could share them with us.
Countries that received the update so far
Full list here.
How to update to the new Android 4.3?
Now the important part! You can easily update your device using Samsung Kies. This means installing Kies on your computer, connecting your device and using the ‘check for updates’ option. Of course, Samsung must first release the update in your country before you will be able to do this. Check us out daily as we will be posting here what countries have received the Android 4.3 update.
You can also update via OTA (over-the-air) in which case you should receive a message on the screen telling you that a new software update is available. You can also go to Settings>More>About Device>Software Update>Update and check for updates.
Manually install the update
We recommend you do not install this firmware manually unless you are an advanced user with great knowledge of Custom ROMs and Android development.
For those of you just eager to use Android 4.3 on your Galaxy S3, there is always the faster way of installing the update manually using Odin. In this case, you will have to download the firmware released in Ireland and then follow the steps in the tutorial below (although if you choose this option you probably already know how to use Odin).
First, we have to make sure that you will not make us responsible for any damages on your phone, so proceed on your own responsibility.
Download the Android 4.3 Ireland firmware for Galaxy S3:
- Download Open Austria I9300XXUGMK6_I9300ATOGMK1_ATO.zip
- Or Download India I9300XWUGML4_I9300ODDGML4_INU.zip
- Or Download Baltic I9300XXUGML2_I9300OXFGML2_SEB.zip
Download Odin 3.07.
Installation tutorial – How to install and official firmware using Odin.
Share this with all your friends to give them the good news and leave us a comment if you managed to update your phone with the latest release.
That’s about all for now, but we will keep you updated with everything that’s new.
LATEST FROM YOUTUBE: