Radio triangulation and Standalone GPS units cost a lot. There is a huge amount incurred during the installation process and worse off monthly fees that are associated with whatever service you choose. Fortunately, if you have a GPS-equipped smartphone you can track your vehicle with no cost incurred. Here is how to do it:
- An InstaMapper account
- A pre-paid smartphone
- Access to the Web (duh)
Set it up
How to make driving safer with your smartphone
- Turn on Wi-Fi or data connection otherwise, your smartphone won’t transmit data.
- Adjust the settings. Since you are going to use your handset for vehicle tracking, lower the ringer volume and mute the handset’s keypad.
- Select a convenient mapping or tracking service. There are many apps but InstaMapper is one of the best and absolutely free.
- Open InstaMapper and enter your handsets’ id in your account and tap ‘save’. Your device will prompt to access the GPS chip. Click Yes. The status changes from ‘Locating’ to ‘Tracking’. You are now good to go.
- For 24/7 tracking, you will be required to hardwire your smartphone to your vehicle’s battery to get intimate with the car’s electrical system. You can ask an expert to do that in case you are not comfortable with it.
- Consider purchasing a car charger to keep your smartphone on for longer hours. You should also make sure that the tracking handset is hidden. You can stash it in your glovebox.
- Now go to the InstaMapper site and track your vehicle.