CF-Auto-Root is a toolkit developed by ‘Chainfire’, a recognized developer of XDA. This rooting method is one of the simplest ones to use, and it is designed to keep the firmware as close to stock as possible.
(By the way, if you’re enjoying this article, you may want to subscribe to our YouTube channel; we do giveaways, hands-on product reviews, feature top tech, and much more!)
The rooting method is the same for Nexus 4, Nexus 7 and Nexus 10, except you have to Download a different Auto-root file.
What is installed: SuperSU binary and APK
!!! Rooting your device can void your warranty and also damage your phone. Make sure you know what you are doing before proceeding further with the installation. We cannot be held responsible for any damage brought to your device.
!! Unlocked devices get fully wiped after this procedure. Our recommendation is to make a complete backup before rooting.
- Download ZIP file for NEXUS 4, NEXUS 7 WiFi, Nexus 7 3G or NEXUS 10.
- Extract the zip file
- Turn off the device
- Reboot into bootloader/fastboot mode (Press Volume up + Volume Down + Power)
- Connect the device to your computer via the USB cable
- Start root-windows.bat (For Windows only)
- After that follow the instructions that appear on the screen
This is it. Now you have your Nexus device rooted.
And as always, we end with an invite: don't be a stranger and join our community - be a part of the conversation where we help each other out, discuss the latest and greatest, and make the best of our tech.