- Manually launch the Settings app and then select the Security option. You’ll be able to access an Encrypt phone option that takes you through the process of encrypting and securing your data. To make sure that the process runs through successfully, connect your fully charged device to the charger. Based on how much data you have, the entire process could take more than an hour.
- A second option is available that allows Android 5.0 Lollipop users to encrypt their devices. This option involves factory resetting the device. A little surprised? Well, this means you have to completely erase all your data and set up the device as brand new. Apparently, the device encrypts itself during the factory reset process. This secures your data and makes it harder to access. You can factory reset your device by navigating to Settings > Backup & Reset and then Factory Reset. You could even sit back and play Hill Climb while the process unrolls.
What's my model number?
There are several ways to locate your model number:
- Option 1
- On your device, go to Settings, then "About device" and scroll down to "Model number"
- Option 2
- Often times you can view the model number inside the device, by removing the battery
- Option 3
- Using Samsung's model/serial number location tool