An app folder is a collection of two or more apps; both in the same spot on the home screen. Folders are created in so many different ways depending on the phone.
You can arrange applications on your Android screen by using folders to keep the apps you use the most. You can store up to four folders on the bottom of your screen. The process is quite easy regardless of what version of Android you’re using.
(By the way, if you’re enjoying this article, you may want to subscribe to our YouTube channel; we do giveaways, hands-on product reviews, feature top tech, and much more!)
How to make app folders – step 1
Nothing says organized like a well labeled folder. You can group apps into bunches for web browsers, readers, games, apps for movies or whatever works best.
- On the home screen, place the apps that you want to put in the folder.
- Long presses on each specific app until you feel a vibration and notice that the screen has changed.
- Long press on an app and drag it right to the top of another app. This creates folders. App images shows up inside a circle, same to what is shown on the left.
Step 2 – name your folder
Unlike iOS, Android does not require a name for a new folder. They just label it as “unnamed folder”. To give the folder a name;
- Long press on the folder; it will open to show you all the apps inside.
- Tap ‘unnamed folder’.
- Type the desired name.
Step 3 – put your folders in the Home row
From the bottom of your home screen, you can drag your folder onto your favorite apps. This way, you’ll need to make two clicks to get to the app. But Google demonstrate this by arranging Google apps into a folder and placing it on your home row at the bottom.
Step 4 – adding swipe actions to folders
You can also add swipe action to any app icon, not just folders.
- Long press on a folder.
- Click edit.
- Click None under Swipe action.
- Choose the app you want to open with your folder gesture.
- To switch your Swipe action, click Swipe to open folder.
- Click done.
You can also use swipe actions to open a favorite playlist, direct-dial a contact, and much more.
Step 5 – theming folder icons
New folder icon styles come out every few years, and this year’s “pixel-style” folder icon is widely available, unlike the older versions that were clunky, messy, and some were straight-up cluttered.
Selecting a folder icon that suits your theme can do a lot of wonder. The simplest way to do this is to change your folder icon to the icon of a single app within your folder.
Image Source: Mashable
And as always, we end with an invite: don't be a stranger and join our community - be a part of the conversation where we help each other out, discuss the latest and greatest, and make the best of our tech.