Showbox isn’t exactly legalShowbox gives you the ability to download movies for free online and stream content that you’d have to otherwise pay for. While some like to consider the Showbox app equivalent to the Kodi media player, is certainly isn’t. Kodi media player actually harbors a bunch of legal add-ons which do not hold any legal issues for users. On the other hand, the Showbox app comprises of content that could easily be set aside for copyright infringement. Unlike premium services like Netflix and Hulu, there is no official support for the Showbox for Android app. Since the app isn’t even available on the Google Play Store, you need to sideload it, which opens up the floodgates to viruses and malware. You may find a clean copy of the Showbox app and may not be burdened by the guilt of piracy. However, this still leaves you with the dilemma of using a service that does not guarantee top quality content. For the most part, you’d be streaming directly from torrents, which not only makes it risky, but unreliable as well.
The Best Showbox for Android alternativesIn the age of digital content streaming, it may seem like going premium is the only way to live. However, even during such times, there are certain online streaming services that allow you to download movies for free online. Helping you find a way to binge-watch entertaining content without punching in your payment details, here are some of our top picks when it comes to Showbox for Android alternatives that don’t lie in the legally gray area.
1. Sony Crackle – Free TV & MoviesThe entire purpose behind creating premium streaming services was to cut out the annoying ads that ruined primetime television. But if you are out searching for a Showbox alternative that offers real premium content that is 100% legal, Crackle is second to none. Now owned and operated by Sony Entertainment, this free streaming service offer movies and TV shows without any monetary payments. https://youtu.be/veiZJ2ktiBY Crackle packs a collection of some blockbuster names like the Ocean’s Eleven and Step Brothers, along with evergreen series such as Seinfeld and Snatch. From the user perspective, you get to enjoy a clean user interface and while the advertisements do very much exist, it is simply the price you pay for premium quality entertainment.
2. Vudu Movies & TVDuring its conception, Vudu was designed to be a service that helped users convert their disc content to digital. Over the years as Blu-Ray content has become scarce and web media has become the norm, Vudu has shifted towards becoming an online media rental service. But what makes Vudu interesting for us freeloaders are the large collection of movies and TV shows it offers without any contract or subscription fee. From feature films that have just come out of the theaters, to mesmerizing TV series from big-time publishers, Vudu has it all. The Movies On Us section is entirely made up of free content that you can watch right away in HD quality. The free entertainment section does include a few ads that are played before, after and during the playback, but nothing that would seem too intrusive or intolerable.
3. SnagFilms - Watch Free MoviesThe commercialization of the movie industry has come at the cost of independent movies, and streaming services are trying to change that. While Netflix Originals can’t be considered low-budget by any means, they offer the feel of independent entertainment, quite similar to what SnagFilms offers. Consisting of a library of entertaining content, you get 5,000+ different titles to binge through with this Showbox for Android alternative. SnagFilms takes a special interest in bringing you content from around the globe by independent filmmakers in classic, cult horror, and Golden Age form. There are special sections for the LGBTQ+ related content as well, along with new additions each month. We were also able to view a bunch of never seen before foreign films in dozens of languages. Again, there are ads included during the playback of the content, but the amount of entertainment you get out of SnagFilms makes it worth it.
4. Yidio: TV Show & Movie GuideOut of all the Showbox for Android alternatives out there, Yidio certainly stands out due to the fact that it doesn’t host content by itself. Instead, this streaming service allows you to connect to more than 70 different premium and free entertainment sources. From premium ones such as HBO GO and Amazon Prime Video to free ones such as ABC and Cartoon Network, you get great content in a single place. https://youtu.be/F-K0mZwhjxg Apart from offering a way for you to find entertaining content for cheap (and sometimes even for free), there’s more to Yidio. The app comes with a built-in guide to movies and TV shows from across the spectrum, giving you personalized suggestions on content that might interest you, daily reminders for your favorite shows, and even a massive search guide built right into the mobile app.
5. CBS - Full Episodes & Live TVFrom the most popular TV shows such as The Big Bang Theory to your local sports games – CBS has been offering quality content for decades. While the CBS ALL Access pass is your premium gateway to content heaven, the free access also brings you a bunch of good stuff. https://youtu.be/hC7IMj7WFyE You get unfiltered access to the latest primetime, daytime, and even late-night episodes in HD quality with the free access. While the CBS All Access pass also comes for free for one month, you need to pay an extra $5.99 each month to get access to the motherlode of content with limited ads.
6. SPB TV – Free Online TVWhile all of the other Showbox for Android alternatives you’ll come across have some sort of a freemium plan attached, SPB TV stands apart. This free Android app is essentially a satellite TV installed on your phone, offering direct streaming access to 200+ channels. Thanks to the built-in Chromecast and Miracast support, taking the free entertainment to the big screen is made easy too. Considering that SPB TV is entirely free to use, we were more than impressed with the streaming quality. While there aren’t too many premium channels offered under this free service, there is always something to keep you entertained. The addition of regional content, integrated TV guide and more make it a wholesome entertainment app.
7. Viki: Korean Drama, Movies & Asian TVThey may seem a bit over the top to some, but the western world is in love with Korean dramas. As the Asian entertainment market blooms, services like Viki are bringing the best of it online for absolutely free. You can always get a premium Viki Pass Plus, but even the free version brings you some of the popular Viki Originals and Viki Exclusives. https://youtu.be/pwCn2yB4AEQ Covering a wide span of shows from Japan, Korea, Taiwan and China, you get built-in subtitles support in 200+ languages. But binge-watching Asian TV shows do not have to be a lonely chore since Viki comes with built-in chat support to keep you in touch with like-minded viewers.
8. HotstarYou could consider Hotstar to be a streaming service that could easily be the biggest rival to Netflix in India. But while Hotstar primarily offers a subscription-based premium service just like Netflix, it also has plenty of freebies. Apart from hundreds of free English and Indian regional movies and TV shows, Hotstar has more. The service has also partnered up with broadcast companies to gain exclusive rights to sports entertainment channels. With a 350 million+ user base garnering support already, you can enjoy HD streaming quality even with a free account, along with plenty of live streaming events as well.
Wrapping it upThe ordeal to download movies for free online once seemed impossible without taking the route of piracy. However, thanks to Video-On-Demand services all around the world, you can finally enjoy low-cost streaming entertainment on the go. However, for all of us freeloaders out there who want to jump the pirate ship but keep the freebies, these Showbox for Android alternatives are the only way to go. Do you have any other great free movies and TV shows streaming app or service on your mind? Be sure to mention it in the comments section down below and we’ll add it to the list after reviewing it.
Similar / posts
May 12th, 2020
April 28th, 2020
April 11th, 2020
Updated on April 24th, 2020