Facebook was once a great platform for staying in touch with family and friends, while also making new connections. However, today most of our experiences revolve around constant advertisements, unending gossips, game requests as well as useless quizzes about your mood and the Game of Thrones character you are. If Facebook is no longer your cup of tea or even as interesting as it once was, there is actually an easy way to ensure that your Facebook account is permanently deleted. Of course this would mean that all the photos you had previously posted in the past, the conversations with friends and the notifications are forever gone. If this seems a bit too extreme for you, then there is always an option of deactivating your Facebook account temporarily.
With that being said, here is how you can either deactivate or permanently delete your Facebook account.
DID YOU KNOW? Updato offers seamless and guaranteed phone unlocking for any device, carrier and region! It's quick and easy - try it now.
How to deactivate your Facebook account
Deactivation of your Facebook account is a temporary way of keeping off the social media site, with the option of reactivating back whenever you choose. It is also the best way you can avoid losing all the data attached to your account.
- Head into your Settings menu, by clicking on the downward arrow.
- Navigate to the left side of the menu and click on the Security option.
- Go to the Deactivate your account section, click on Edit and then follow the procedure.
How to back up or save up all your Facebook data
Before you move on to deleting your Facebook account permanently, you may need to consider backing up all your data. This is basically the loads and loads or information that have been associated with your Facebook profile over the years. Whether it’s the photos you shared or were tagged in, messages from friends, posts you shared, your contact information or even information on ads you had clicked on, all these can be saved in your backup. You can have everything downloaded and saved by doing the following:
- Log in to your Facebook account, move towards the top right corner of the page, click the small down arrow button and then click on Settings to bring up the Settings page.
- On the General account settings page, find the Download a copy of your Facebook data option and click on it.
- Go to the Start my archive button. You will need to re-enter your password then click on the button once more. When the archive is ready for download, you will receive the notification as well as the download link in your email. Note that the length of time it will take for you receive the notification will depend on the amount of information that is going to be archived.
- Once you see the email, click on the link and then click on the Download archive button that appears on the page follows.
How to delete your Facebook account
Besides our emails, Facebook is one of the easier ways to log in to certain apps and websites. This gives them direct access to all your personal information or any necessary data they may need for you to create an account on their platform. You must first ensure that all these links to your Facebook account are removed before permanently deleting the account. However, if you plan to continue using these apps and sites, then also make sure that you have an alternative login setup for them.
- Navigate to the Settings page and click the Apps option on the navigation menu located on the left side. All the websites, apps and services linked to your Facebook account will be displayed here.
- Hover your cursor on any of the apps and you’ll see an edit option along with a remove option show up. Click the Remove button and the then confirm that you want access to the app deleted.
- You can do the same each app, website and service on the list.
After backing up all your Facebook data and having all access to third-party apps, sites and services removed, you can now delete your Facebook account permanently.
- On the drop down menu, click the Help option and look for Delete account, click on it and then confirm.
- Once you have confirmed deletion, you will then have 14 days before your account is permanently deleted. In case you have second thoughts, you have the option of reactivating your account.
What are some of the reasons you’d consider making your Facebook inactive? Share them with us in the comments below.
And as always, we end with an invite: don't be a stranger and join our community - be a part of the conversation where we help each other out, discuss the latest and greatest, and make the best of our tech.